Monday, June 20, 2011

Neapolitan Dreams Complete!

I'm so excited to show you another quilt that I've finally completed. Neapolitan Dreams aka The Pink Quilt is finished and ready to go to its new 6 year old owner. I started this quilt with the help of my bee, Pretty in Pink. Each member made a quarter log cabin block for me and I put them all together with sashing and on point.


Neapolitan Dreams



The outer border of brown with colored polka dots helps keep this quilt from being just a little TOO pink. ;) After all, I do want her to love this when she is older too. I tried to pick fabrics that were not innately juvenile...so it really can grow with her.



Neapolitan Dreams - Complete!



One of the things that I am most proud of with this quilt is the sheer amount of fabric I used from my stash. I proudly decimated a good portion of my pink stash with this quilt. I found that I was not using my pink fabrics because people tend to shy away from the color. So I went all out and made a REALLY pink quilt. But strangely not too pink.



Neapolitan Dreams - detail




The sashing I fussy cut from a random running floral fabric that I bought on clearance from Joann's years ago. I felt very good the day that I finally found a home for that fabric! And I really love it in this quilt. I knew it had the ability to be something special, but it took a few years before it became part of this quilt.



Neapolitan Dreams - close up




The backing is the only fabric that I purchased in the making of this quilt (well at least for THIS quilt!). I did not have enough fabric for the back of this twin sized quilt, even with piecing things together. I tend to like a simple back to a quilt anyway, so I went with a full 5 yards of a lovely older Joel Dewberry Print. It turned out to be a great scale print for a quilt back of this size. And it has a different but complimentary look to the front.



Neapolitan Dreams - backing




I even made the binding with left over scraps from the strips used to make the quilt blocks. I pieced together strip upon strip and had enough to make the whole binding. But I'll admit, I think I'll be happy to see the end of some of that fabric. ;) Despite my random quilting attempt on the long arm machine, the quilt turned out okay. The busyness of the prints helps to hide the quilting in this case. ;)



Neapolitan Dreams - blocks and sashing




So yay! A completed quilt. It's been a long time coming. I've had the fabrics for a long time, the blocks were made a bit ago, the top was pieced, the quilt was quilted...and now years after the fabric purchase, a story has been told.

21 comments:

  1. I think this is such a fabulous design. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Angela! Well worth the wait, I'd say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is sooooo beautiful!!
    I love the colors and the design. It turned out very sophisticated with all those different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! A kind of creative:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The running floral is the best part! The quilting looks great to me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I love the Sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quilt...wonderful for a girl to grow-up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Finish! My daughter would swoon... She LOVES pink.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice! i love the tone of pink in this one. not overly girly, not too sweet, you know? just soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful quilt! Your bee mates made lovely blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sashing! Great idea. Fabulous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO excited for you! This is a big finish and it turned out wonderfully. My favorite part is that running floral you used for the sashing. I can imagine how great it felt to realize that would work well. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So wonderful, and so much loving work put into this- a story for her forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yea! I too am a big fan of the sashing. :) Very pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt! Love the idea of placing these blocks on point! Love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sashing fabric was made for this quilt - it was hiding on the shelf in your stash just waiting for this quilty opportunity. I love a scrappy binding - have done it several times. Very pretty quilt - not bubble gum smacking, in your face pink, and not a cartoon character to be seen! N

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every one that I receive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...