Okay, before I get to my failure, I wanted to remind you that I have a giveaway going on for a scrap bundle of fabrics from Brenda at Pink Castle Fabrics. You can find it in my previous post here. And fun of all funs, Rachel and Kaelin are both hosting giveaways for Brenda as well. So you can hop over to their blogs and enter to win the scrap packs they are giving away too. They're different from mine, so in theory one very happy person could win all three! lol
On to my failure. Oh yes. They happen. Boy do they happen.
I have decided to join in on Katy's Swoon Along. I couldn't resist the lure of the Swoon pattern any longer and I have all this fun Brrr fabric that I wanted to use. So I decided to make a "baby" swoon which is only four blocks instead of nine. Each block is going to have a fussy cut polar bear. Cute right? I thought it would be great for a baby quilt!
I started in on my first block, warned with the knowledge that the piecing was tricky and there was lots of it. Directional prints could give you fits and some people were having trouble getting all of the pieces they needed out of the required fat quarter if their fat quarter had been a bit skimpy. I carefully cut and sewed and pressed every last seam open.
Only to find that I had COMPLETELY misread the sewing instructions and it was too late to fix things. They had already been trimmed and cut. I was doing some pretty fancy sewing to follow the directions that I had unwittingly made up too.
If you are swooning along, you'll understand when I say that I was sewing the flying geese together the same way that the half square triangles were sewn. Resulting in lovely flying geese and half square triangle blocks...but ones that are completely useless for this pattern.
I know the picture almost makes it look okay, but trust me...none of those pieces would be able to be sewn together. Seriously. They are off by a 1/2"!
And the kicker? I managed to work with a directional print on this pattern and get all the pieces to run in the same direction! Success! on my epic failure.
It took me the whole evening to end up with the mess that will not be a swoon block. Disheartening to say the least. It was late and I was ready to throw in the sewing towel...give up the blog, sell off my fabric, the works. But in the sanity that is morning, I can share this with you all to let you see the frustrations that come with cutting up tiny pieces of fabric and sewing them back together.
I'm determined to make lemon aid from my lemons here and come up with a beautiful block from the pieces that I have that will fit together. It will not swoon...but maybe it will swag!