Friday, February 17, 2012

Dream a Little Dream

Modern Mini Challenge



I'm at the end of Jennifer's Blog Hop of Minis, but it's the very beginning of the opportunity to make your own mini for a chance at some fabulous prizes. Hop over to Jennifer's blog for more details, but just as reminder prizes include...


Both Viewer’s Choice Winners will receive a fat quarter bundle of the FULL LINE of Flea Market Fancy reprint by Denyse Schmidt.


James’ Choice Winner will receive a $100 gift certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop


Both Luck of the Draw Winners will receive a $75 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop




I'm finished with my most recent mini that I've decided should be entitled "Dream a Little Dream". It all started with an inspirational sketch and post by designer Sarah Jane. This mini is part of a swap over at flickr and my partner doesn't know this is for her yet. So I can't tell you a heck of a lot about her. But I will say that I identified with my partner (and also Sarah Jane) on the need to de-stress this year. Life gets in the way quickly and it is easy to become overwhelmed by our own particular circumstances. So I thought my partner would appreciate the simplicity yet emotional nature of this quilt. And so Dream a Little Dream was begun.


Dream a Little Dream - Complete




The girl in my mini is completely inspired by Sarah Jane's illustration...but I'm quite pleased with how she turned into fabric and thread. I did this all with raw edge applique, a steady hand, and a lot of thread changes.



Dream a Little Dream - Dreamer





Her dreams are made up of all things lovely, sweet, and fantastic. Which just so happens to coincide with my love for Heather Ross fabrics. There's definitely a reason I'm drawn to her designs. You will see that they appear often. And don't mind me when I start waxing poetic and pulling out my love of Disney when I say " A Dream is a wish your Heart makes".




Dream a Little Dream - heart





I also did a little stamping on this quilt. My very first time stamping on fabric! I did just a subtle (read: I didn't want to mess up) stamping along the quilt with the title. The free motion quilting is also supposed to be dream like... flowing, relaxing, and wavy.



Dream a Little Dream





The details are big in this mini, but I think the overall effect is Simplicity. I worked to keep things a little less overworked and I hope that it "works".




Dream a Little Dream - Detail





So, dear partner, I hope that you love this mini as much as I do. She's been peaceful and joyful for me...just what I think you will enjoy about her. I've loved having her finished for a while and getting to her enjoy her on my design wall. I don't always get to spend much time with the items I make for a swap and I feel lucky to have had her for a bit.





73 comments:

  1. If this came to my house, I'm pretty sure I would cry. It's perfect, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is gorgeous!!! wow, tears in my eyes...so beautiful!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peaceful and joyful - perfect descriptors for this beautiful, beautiful mini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just amazing! You have a lucky, lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Brilliant!! I would find this Very Very Hard to Give Up!! That is one lucky partner - if I were you, I would whip up a 9-patch quilt and give that instead hehehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!!! that is so beautiful and amazing. You are very VERY talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Less is so much more, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it's simply beautiful. I'm so in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stunning. Wow. This is incredible. YOu are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I absolutely love it! You've inspired me to try a more picture based mini, now I just need to see if I can pull off what I'm imagining o.O

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely beautiful (and the reason I am inspired by the idea of mini-quilts), the idea of creating a scene :) If your partner doesn't want it you can send it this way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is so fabulous- love the serenity on her face Angela. Oh my- what a lucky partner.
    Thanks SO much for being a part of the blog hop and for sharing your amazing talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mini is amazing! The lucky lady who receives this will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this so much! I think the quilting is my favorite part. Well, the quilting and her tights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a very sweet piece. I like the simplicity of it too; it is very dreamy. And the stamp is very subtle, just right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mini is absolutely amazing! So calming and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is spectacular! As you said, lots of details, yet very calm. The recipient is verrrrryyyyyy lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have SOOOO inspired me with this little quilt - thanks much! It is fabulous.simply.fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is just beautiful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this quilt is completely fantastic in every way Angela! you are so talented, and your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Angela, I think this is my most favorite of all the things you have made (and that is saying a lot!). It is gorgeous. I think you captured, perfectly, what you were describing. All the little details.....fantastic. Wish it could be mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It`s absolutely gorgeous!Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sew Sweet! Love the feel of this quilt and I love how you added the simple stamping. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy smokes, Angela, you have knocked this outta the park! What a lucky partner you have!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is not only a quilt, this is ART!
    It is so beautiful, it is unbelievable!
    Adorable.

    Greetings,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  26. This mini is magic! So sweet, so inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a truly amazing quilt, a fabric work of art! I still don't know how you can bear to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Every time I see one of your mini story quilts I am completely blown away. I think she'll never match that design and then you do something, new and unexpected and completely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  30. love your mini thinking about stopping my quilt long enough to make one of course it wont be that pretty

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a totally wonderful mini - the recipient is going to be bowled over!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's so sweet and beautiful. I love the quilting and the general impression of space and lightness.
    And thank you so much for the inspiration, I think I finally begin to imagine how I may combine my drawings with quilting (although I suppose it's going to take me a few years before I get even a bit closer to your steady hand).

    ReplyDelete
  33. Angela, your mini quilts are always amazing - and this one is the best so far, I think! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Magical is the perfect description. You have taken Sarah Jane's drawing to a whole new level. So perfect and whoever receives it I know will be blown away!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazingly beautiful! You've created another masterpiece, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful and soulful! I love this and agree it is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do love this one! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow this is so amazing, really really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh! I love that mini. What a great idea and the HR fabrics were perfect for it. The little girl is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I loves your mini quilt. So meaningful!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your little mini: what a sweet idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow that is so amazing and cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. this is lovely! the expression on the girl's face is divine

    ReplyDelete
  44. Angela - she's perfect! I love that you kept it simple, but of course there are so many scrumptious details. The quilting was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love your work Angela, it is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello Angela! This is so beautiful and adorable quilt! You are so talented!
    I am happy that I found you again, because I remember always your quilt 'Where bluebirds fly'! Then I lost you and couldn't remember where to find your blog. I think I saw your quilt in the quilting festival.
    Sunny wishes from Greece! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  47. You are extremely talented. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow this is so amazing. Painting with fabric instead of a brush. You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Magical. Lovely. Absolutely beautiful with such heart put in it for your friend.
    Inspiring as well for us to all dream a little dream each day.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love it!
    So original and so out of a creative mind!
    Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  51. AMAZING!!! So detailed and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Angela, did you do all of that by machine? Wow. Wow. Wow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm pretty sure I have already commented on this quilt, but I saw it in the linky and just had to come back to say "we have a winner!"
    Seriously though, this really is truly amazing and I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  54. i absolutely love this mini!!! and congrats on making it into sliced! i saw that yesterday and was so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  55. What a wonderful quilt! I've never tried stamping on a quilt. You got me intrigued! What ink do you use? Great free-motion, great applique, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is so beautiful. Can you scan it and start selling prints??? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Holy cannoli, this is probably the most amazing applique I've ever seen on a mini. I had to look at your close up pictures to check if the dreams were even stitched on. Brava ma'am, brava.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Just wanted to let you know that I adore your mini quilt and voted for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. now I really can say "we have a winner!" Congratulations - so well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Stunning and precious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every one that I receive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...