Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sew-Less Summer - Featuring Rebecca of Sew Festive Handmade



Today is another installment in the Sew-Less Summer series.  Today I am happy to welcome Rebecca of Sew Festive Handmade. Again, another super adorable quilter! (Honestly I'm having a little bit of hair envy right now! lol)



Rebecca lives in sunny Florida with her boyfriend and teaches sewing classes at a local shop. She taught herself to sew a couple years ago, but once she found the modern quilting community she never looked back! She's actually never made a quilt from a pattern because her favorite thing to do is make up her own quilt designs. Recently she's started dabbling in apparel sewing as well as producing cross-stitch and embroidery patterns.




Hi everyone! I'm Rebecca and I blog over at Sew Festive Handmade. I'm in the middle of hosting a Christmas in July event on my blog with lots of great tutorials and chances at prizes, so if you're looking to get holiday sewing started in advance then feel free to join the fun!


When Angela posted her idea of Sew-Less Summer I had an idea instantly: Scandinavian woven hearts! I used to make these all the time as a kid, but they're usually made out of paper. Last year I thought I'd try making them out of fabric! I love to make them with scraps and attach them to gifts in place of tags.

Supplies:
  • Template [found here; print with no scaling]
  • Two fabric pieces that are 5"x16"
  • Interfacing [optional]
  • Steam-a-Seam or similar
  • Tracing pen
  • Scrap of ribbon/twine/ric-rac that is at least 6" long
  • Pinking shears [optional]
 1. Cut the template on all the solid lines.

2. Fold one of your fabric pieces in half. I pressed the fold with a hot iron so it would be nice and creased. *Note: At this point if you'd like your finished woven heart to have a little more structure you can use a light to medium weight fusible interfacing on the fabric pieces before you fold and trace your template.

3. Trace template onto your fabric. I fold back each strip one at a time so that I can trace the lines in the middle. The straight edge of the template should be lined up on the fold.


4. Cut on the lines. Make sure you don't cut along the fold! I used pinking shears to give the finished product a little extra pizzazz. This also helps keep the fabric from fraying. If you don't have pinking shears that's totally ok! Regular scissors work just as well, and I haven't noticed any fraying in any of the others I've made.

5. Repeat steps 2-4 on your other piece of fabric.


6. Now it's time to start weaving the fabric together! For simplicity's sake, I'm going to describe the weaving using "print" and "solid" to differentiate which fabric I'm talking about during which step. Take the strip on the right of one of your pieces of fabric [my printed fabric] and the strip on the left of the other piece [solid]. Slide the solid strip through the first printed strip. Then slide the second printed strip through the solid strip. Continue alternating until you've woven the solid strip through all of the printed strips.


7. Slide the solid strip all the way to the top of the slits.


8. Continue weaving the rest of the strips. Make sure that you alternate every other row to get the woven pattern. When all the strips are woven you can wiggle and reposition so that they're evenly spaced.


The great thing about these is that they open up and create a little pocket! I'm turning all my woven hearts into sachets, so I'm putting little bags of potpourri inside. If you'd like to put something inside the heart, be it potpourri or just stuffing, you can finish the heart in a number of ways. You could finish the top edges with a blanket stitch, but I chose a Sew-Less version instead :)


Using your template, trace around the top curve and then connect the sides of the curve with a straight line onto your Steam-a-Seam. Cut out two of these little wedge shapes. Cut out two little squares if you'd like to put ribbon inside the heart to make a hanging loop.


Stuff the heart as desired. Place Steam-a-Seam squares at the position on each side of the inside of the heart where the two fabrics start to intersect [the "dip" of the heart]. Put your ribbon ends in between the Steam-a-Seam squares. Place the wedge-shaped Steam-a-Seam on the inside on the curves of the heart. Press with iron according to Steam-a-Seam instructions.

Voila! I plan on putting these around my house and in some dresser drawers to make things smell nice! I think they'd also look awesome in coordinating prints and colors as bunting.


Thanks Angela for letting me share this project! I absolutely love to sew, but sometimes it's nice to have a quick project that doesn't take any time at the machine but where I still get to use pretty fabric!


And thank you Rebecca for such a fun tutorial!  I think the garland or bunting idea is really fabulous.  It's always amazing to me what modern fabrics can do for a traditional design.

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! This would be fun with my grand-kiddos. Thanks for sharing.....Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute and functional! I adore this. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!!! I am going to do this at Christmas for ornaments! I had never thought of making woven hearts out of fabric. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! These would make great Christmas ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever made these before. I love the woven look. Thanks for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best filling is the traditional one.

    The traditional paper version was hung on the christmas tree and they are filled with lollies (which you spend the day trying to steal when no-one is looking) If it's a fabric heart and in Aus make sure your lollies are wrapped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun, quick, and easy. I'll be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Angela for hosting Rebecca. Just love this intertwined heart - Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every one that I receive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...