Well my intention was to share the next Mario Block today (I even have it started and everything! lol) but after my last post I took on another project. So many of you suggested that it was worth saving the quilt and giving it a new binding that I decided yesterday that it needed to happen. NOW.
So I searched through my stash of fabrics looking for the perfect match for this 11 year old quilt with vaguely masculine colors and heavily faded fabric. It was trickier than I thought it would be to match an older quilt with new fabric. I tried some other options but they didn't brighten the quilt up at all. They just faded away with the rest of it. And if I was going to go through the trouble of redoing the binding then I really wanted to make it a feature.
I found the right fabric in this old Free Spirit freckles print that came from who knows where when. I literally have no idea when I got this fabric. I just know that it's one of the older ones in my stash. I almost didn't pull it because I had it stashed with my pinks. Pink? For my husband's quilt?! I think not! But as you can see, it was just the right shade of brightness for this quilt and took on the colors of the surrounding fabrics. I was just shy of having the right amount of fabric for the binding, so I added some cheeky birds in the corner to spice things up a bit.
The best part was seeing my husband's face light up when I showed him what I was doing. He loved the new fabrics, both of them, and thought it looked great. And it only took me half a day to fix something that has literally been bothering me for years.
The before and after is pretty impressive. It will take me a bit of time to get used to the new look but it is definitely the right move. This quilt has a new lease on life!