Friday, December 14, 2012

In Memory

In the wake of the shootings today in Newtown, Connecticut I find myself wanting to say something.  do something.  But I'm at a loss.

I have spent most of the day in tears, watching the news and waiting for perhaps a moment of hope in this horrific act.  But honestly, I have yet to see it.  No, I don't know anyone personally affected (that I know of) and don't anticipate that.  Yet my heart ACHES for anyone involved.


I watched the President break down while trying to comfort a grieving nation.  I've heard parent after parent declare their intentions to hold their children extra close tonight.  I've seen seasoned news casters in shock and despair from yet another ridiculous tragic massacre.


I've been told that it is because I have a young child that I'm particularly affected by this.  But I think all of humanity is affected.  When the lives of innocent children and brave adults are taken senselessly, there is nothing to do but BE affected.  


I heard someone today say that they were embarrassed to be a human being.  And I understand that sentiment.  Yet I know that from the greatest human tragedies come the greatest human triumphs.  We will know more of that in the coming days and even years.  So, no, I'm not embarrassed to be a human being.  It is with great hope that I must look forward to a world where we feel safe and protected from violence and danger.  And it will be human beings that make that happen.


Yes, I will hug my daughter extra tight and be more patient.  I will pray for the victims and their families.  I will pray for the country and anyone who feels fear.

I will pray that my daughter is able to grown up in world free from violence and evil.  Because she and all of us deserve that.  It is our right.

Sweet girl I hope you are able grow up in a world where you are always protected from evil and violence. #devastatedforCT

‎"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." --Mr. Rogers

For every act of hatred and cowardice that we cannot begin to comprehend; there are countless more acts of kindness, compassion and love. Love will always, always, triumph.


29 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I too have been feeling SO MUCH DESPAIR today. So senseless. I needed to be reminded about the helpers. I'm sure we'll hear more about the heroes at the school as the days progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for posting....I think so many of us feel so helpless and lost, what a world, what a world...thanks for sharing the Mr. Roger's quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orações e solidariedades para as famílias das vitimas.Estou chocada...de novo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to have posted my feeling on this tragic and senseless lost of our young children. Put we know we must go on and pray for them and their families. It brings such sadness to this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no words... but hugged my little guy a little bit tighter tonight and was glad that he was unaware of the senseless loss of innocents today...and a little more loss of innocence... so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that quote, I've never heard it before but I know I will always remember it. And I don't think that you were so affected by this because you have a young child - I have no children (though I hope to have them someday when I'm "ready") and this brought me to tears at my desk today. But I guess that's sort of the point of the quote - so many people who are not directly affected are sad and at a loss for words, but maybe we are the helpers, and since we are so saddened by such a tragedy, we will somehow prevent it from happening again. At least, I like to think that, which I guess is my way of saying thanks for posting this - I needed to read that quote and feel like I can make the world a better place after so much sadness and helplessness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, thank you for expressing my thoughts so eloquently. My children are grown and my youngest grandchild is 14 years old. I don't cry at sad news stories...until today. For some reason I can not stop crying for these and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for posting this. I have remained off line until tonight out of respect for those affected by this horrible act of violence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bawled my eyes out most of the day, waiting for my Kindergartner to come home from school. Then I sang "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" at a party tonight, and the 3rd&4th verse... "Then in despair, I bowed my head. 'There is no peace on earth' I said, 'for hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth goodwill to men'. Then pealed the bells, more loud and deep, God is NOT dead, nor doth He sleep! The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with Peace on Earth, Goodwill to men."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post.
    What tragedy and sadness.
    I will remember that quote from now on too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting this. I was especially comforted by the quote from Mr. Rogers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great sentiment. Whenever I hear of school shootings I immediately think of the Dunblane massacre that happened only 30 miles from here. I did know people involved too, and I imagine they will all be thinking of the people in Newtown as they go through this, another senseless tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The words of Mr. Rogers ring true! That makes sense when everything else doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I felt the same things as I was watching yesterday -- extreme sadness. Today I am determined to be a light and to teach my kids to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You words are so well said. Thank you.
    Linda F.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You said it amazingly my friend! Thank you for your words, your thoughts, and the difference you have already made! I am grateful to know you and thank you for this post. Yes, lots of tears, and prayers for hope and peace...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Angela, for putting that down into words. And for sharing Mr. Rogers' words - wonderful point of view and outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for posting that quote Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too will hug my children more tightly and pray for those families and victims.
    What saddens me is that none of that changes anything and while there are still guns people will use them.
    I will strive to teach my children peace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well said Angela. Thank you for posting what so many of us are feeling but can't seem to put into words. That quote by Mr. Rogers is great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your thoughtful post. Mr Rogers was a kind gentle soul. I recommend "googling" about him. It was nice to read about the good he did. It sure helps on this sad weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully written Angela.
    Candles are burning all over FaceBook for the victims, May God bless their loved ones.
    And we all pray for Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a nice post but I know we are all sad the post has to be written at all. I too have spent the day being overcome by tears and thinking how could things like this happen. It was enough that two people were killed at a mall in my town just days ago and then this, it's just hard to comprehend. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and hope that this kind of tragedies can cease to exist someday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for writing this: you have put into words what I am feeling. I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of the news (early on; no information) because I was sobbing... I did hold my twins tighter that day and since. I do wish that instead of cry, the President would just gather up the guns, but that is a subject for another day...

    ReplyDelete
  25. The world is crying Angela, such a senseless, horrific tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing. i don't have young children or grandchildren but I too am in tears and horrified at this tragic loss.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every one that I receive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...